The following area is affected:
840 AM EDT Thu May 25 2017
The Flood Warning continues for
the New River At Radford.
* from this afternoon until this evening
* at 08AM Thursday the stage was 13.4 feet and rising slowly.
* Flood stage is 14.0 feet.
* Forecast to rise above flood stage by this afternoon and continue
to rise to near 14.3 feet this afternoon. The river will fall
below flood stage by late this afternoon.
* Impact...at 14.0 feet...Riverside parking lots are affected
* Flood history...this crest compares to a previous crest of 14.4
feet on Mar 7 2011.
LAT...LON 3708 8062 3723 8065 3727 8053 3722 8049
Flash Flood Watch
The following areas are affected:
McDowell-Wyoming-Northwest Raleigh-Northwest Fayette-
Including the cities of Clintwood, Grundy, Vansant, Harts,
Alum Creek, Hamlin, Charleston, South Charleston, Saint Albans,
Williamson, Logan, Chapmanville, Man, Madison, Clay, Welch, Gary,
War, Mullens, Oceana, Pineville, Bradley, Prosperity, Sophia,
Oak Hill, Fayetteville, Montgomery, Summersville, Craigsville,
and Birch River
920 AM EDT Thu May 25 2017
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* Portions of southwest Virginia and West Virginia, including
the following areas, in southwest Virginia, Buchanan and
Dickenson. In West Virginia, Boone, Clay, Kanawha, Lincoln,
Logan, McDowell, Mingo, Northwest Fayette, Northwest Nicholas,
Northwest Raleigh, and Wyoming.
* Until 8 PM EDT this evening.
* Saturated terrain from previous rainfall and additional
rainfall expected pose a flash flood threat through this
* Flooding of creeks, streams, and poor drainage areas are
expected. Water is likely to cover roads, especially in low
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.
The following areas are affected:
Alleghany NC-Pulaski VA-Giles VA-Wythe VA-Carroll VA-
City of Galax VA-Grayson VA-
735 AM EDT THU MAY 25 2017
The National Weather Service in BLACKSBURG has extended the
* Flood Warning for Urban Areas and Small Streams in...
Alleghany County in northwestern North Carolina...
Pulaski County in southwestern Virginia...
Giles County in southwestern Virginia...
Wythe County in southwestern Virginia...
Carroll County in southwestern Virginia...
The City of Galax in southwestern Virginia...
Grayson County in southwestern Virginia...
* Until 1100 AM EDT
* At 732 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated that heavy rain had ended
over the area. However continued runoff will cause flooding of
smaller creeks and streams especially near the New River this
* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
When it is safe to do so, please send your reports of flooding,
including mudslides or flooded roads, to the National Weather Service
by calling toll free at 1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2 4. Reports and
pictures can also be shared on the National Weather Service
Blacksburg Facebook page and on Twitter.
LAT...LON 3644 8127 3657 8135 3677 8126 3697 8137
3707 8091 3718 8086 3727 8101 3735 8085
3743 8086 3737 8076 3748 8051 3732 8044
3723 8062 3720 8051 3693 8064 3667 8047
3666 8059 3656 8061 3656 8090 3637 8099