Fire Marshal: circuit box caused fire at Telford, TN church

TELFORD, TN (WJHL) – Fire did significant damage to a church in Telford, Tennessee Wednesday night.

Oakland Cumberland Presbyterian Church on Oakland Road sustained heavy damage.

According to Limestone Volunteer Fire Department Chief Steve Archer, the state fire marshal determined the fire was caused when the circuit breaker box overheated and ignited the wall.

911 Dispatch got the call for help around 6:20 p.m..  Fire Chief Steve Archer, Limestone Volunteer Fire Department, said the structure is not totally burned but it’s most likely a total loss.

When crews arrived they saw thick flames and smoke. “Flames were coming out of the front entrance, had went up the tower and was coming out the top of the steeple and had spread back into the sanctuary,” Archer said.

Limestone Volunteer Fire Department, Sulphur Springs Fire Department, Jonesborough Fire Department, Nolichuckey Valley Volunteer Fire Department and the Greeneville Fire Department all responded. 30-40 firefighters were on scene.

Archer said they don’t yet know the cause of the fire but the power supply is at the front of the church, where the fire started and that was burned. Church members also told Archer that were having electrical problems recently.

We’re told the fire broke out just before church services. No one was inside.

Copyright 2018 WJHL.  All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s