Threats: North Carolina city cancels Fourth celebration

HAMLET, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina city has canceled its Independence Day celebration, citing threats it received in connection with an ongoing homicide investigation.

Hamlet City Manager Jonathan Blanton says city scheduled Tuesday evening events with fireworks to follow were scrapped as a precaution. He said Monday that no events would be rescheduled.

Blanton said the city has received several threats of violence which targeted the planned celebration, saying they were credible and were being investigated by police. Blanton didn’t elaborate on the specific nature of the threats.

Police are investigating a shooting at a convenience store in which a 20-year-old man was killed last Wednesday. So far, there have been no arrests in the case.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s