ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) – The Latest on an armed man at the Orlando International Airport (all times local):
9:15 p.m. Police in Florida have tweeted that a reportedly armed suspect has been ‘contained’ at the Orlando International Airport and that no shots have been fired and there is no active shooter.
Orlando police urged people not to put out unconfirmed information on Tuesday night during what appeared to be a chaotic scene at the airport.
Images showed a heavy police presence and officials hurrying travelers out of an area in the airport.
The Florida Highway Patrol said all roads to the airport were shut down, with “zero exceptions.” Authorities warned people to stay in their vehicles and away from law enforcement.
8:55 p.m. A spokeswoman for the Orlando International Airport says authorities are responding to a report of an armed man in the rental car area.
Spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell tells the Orlando Sentinel that law enforcement officers are on the scene Tuesday night.
The airport tweeted that the area had been contained and there was minimal impact to operations.
Images posted on social media showed a heavy police presence in the area and passengers were worried about missing flights. The Florida Highway Patrol tweeted that all roads to the airport were shut down, with “zero exceptions.”
Authorities warned people to stay in their vehicles and away from law enforcement.
Fennell didn’t immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press. Police referred calls to the spokeswoman.
Earlier this year, authorities say an Alaska man killed five people inside a baggage claim area at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)