2 boys credited with saving baby sister from Crossville house fire

Courtesy: WATE

CROSSVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Two boys are being credited with saving their baby sister when their house caught on fire last week.

It happened on Harrison Avenue last Tuesday around 6:30 p.m., according to Fire Chief Mike Turner.

Family members told WATE-TV, the children’s mother was at work and her boyfriend was outside mowing the grass when the fire started.

The family says Donnie Strong, 11, and Elyjah Brockway, 13, were inside watching TV with 18-month-old Abby Strong-Brockway at the time.

The two boys scooped up their baby sister and ran out of the house, just in the nick of time.

“It makes me feel real proud,” father Brian Brockway said. “Because without my kids, I don’t know what I would do.”

The two boys are now being hailed heroes.

“I was breathing heavy. My legs were shaking. I was kind of scared at the time too,” Elyjah Brockway said. “I grabbed my sister and ran out of the house telling Donnie to get out too.”

Chief Turner said the fire started in a downstairs bedroom when a battery charger failed and caused a short.

The fire spread rapidly to a nearby closet and into the upstairs area. The home is a total loss.

The brothers only had seconds to escape and they credit  their survival instincts to fire safety lessons in both school and at home.

“Our family has been doing fire drills on what to do if we had a fire and all that,” Donnie Strong said.

The fire took their home and all of their belonging, but Sarah Strong, mother of three, said she’s been overwhelmed with the love and support from the community during this difficult time.

“The support that we had, just people reaching out to say is there anything we can do, has just been amazing,” Sarah Strong said.

Though they lost so much, they said the tragedy has brought them closer and they are grateful to have their family by their side.

“She’s my sister,” Elyjah Brockway said. “I love her to death. I’d do anything for her. Family is the one thing I can’t put a price on.”

“It’s something you never want to go through, especially knowing that your kids are inside and in danger and you’re not there,” Brian Brockway added.

One firefighter was treated for cuts to his hand and others were treated as a precautionary measure to prevent heat exhaustion.

GoFundMe page has been started to help the family replace belongings that were lost.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s