JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University women’s basketball team took to the road for the first time this season, and ran into a hot Carson-Newman University offense. The Eagles grabbed the lead from the onset and didn’t look back, taking the contest 107-71.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 107, King 71
LOCATION: Holt Fieldhouse; Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-1, Carson-Newman 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Eagles opened the game with a 6-0 run and led 12-4 before King got back-to-back baskets from Amy Van Deventer and Ashley Albertson.
• However, Carson-Newman then scored eight straight points to open up a 20-8 advantage and the Eagles held a 24-15 lead after the first quarter.
• Following a jump shot from Kristen Cupples that pull King within 27-17, the Eagles went on a run.
• Carson-Newman scored seven straight points, opening up a 34-17 advantage two minutes into the second quarter.
• The Eagles earned the largest lead of the first half at 47-25 before the Tornado scored the final seven points of the half.
• Demisha Porter made a pair of free throws before Sydney Harris made a jump shot and Sheena Johnson capped the half with a triple.
• However, the Tornado still trailed Carson-Newman 47-32 at the break.
• In the middle of the third quarter, Carson-Newman used a 12-2 run to open up a 75-46 advantage.
• Leading 85-53 at the start of the fourth quarter, Carson-Newman used a 10-2 run to gain their largest lead of the game at 93-55 as they took the contest 107-71.
• Johnson led King with 18 points while Emily Kiser followed with 11 points.
• Albertson added nine points and grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• The Eagles outrebounded King 57-31, grabbing 26 offensive rebounds and scoring 29 second chance points.
• Mika Wester led the way for Carson-Newman with 25 points to go along with 10 rebounds.
• Kailyn Brooks tallied 22 points and Katie Stubblefield chipped in with 12 points.
• Hairs Price led the way with seven assists with Briana Smith handing out six helpers.
• King stays on the road when they travel to take on Lincoln Memorial University on Saturday. Tipoff from Harrogate, Tenn. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
• Carson-Newman next takes on Lincoln Memorial on Tuesday.