ROANOKE (WSLS 10) – For a four hour period Saturday nearly everyone in America will have access to free health screenings, education, services and products as Walmart stores nationwide host Walmart Wellness Day.
According to release from Wal-Mart,the decision to bring back the health fair is based on the impact last year’s event.
The free health screenings are expected to benefit hundreds of thousands of people, some whom may be taking an active role in their health for the first time.
The newly named Walmart Wellness Day will take place from noon—4pm local time on Saturday, Oct. 15 in more than 4,600 Walmart stores across the country. The event will provide free blood glucose, blood pressure, vision screenings (where available), product samples and information on health insurance options.
Additionally, more than 10,000 of Walmart’s licensed pharmacists will offer immunizations including the flu shot in all Walmart pharmacies in the US.
Walmart Wellness Day by the numbers:
- Walmart beat five world records with last year’s single-day event for the most:
- Blood pressure, glucose and vision screenings – more than 280,000 screenings were conducted
- Immunizations – nearly 52,000 administered
- Food samples – more than 2 million free samples of healthier foods were distributed to customers
- Nearly 3,000 customers were advised to visit their health care professional based on their blood glucose screening results
- 7 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- More than 7,000 reports of high blood pressure detected
- About 75 million American adults (32%) have high blood pressure—that’s 1 in every 3 adults,according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention