EMORY, VA- The Shenandoah University Football Team (3-2, 1-1 ODAC) outscored Emory & Henry College (1-4, 0-2 ODAC) by a 23-13 mark in the second half for a 36-33 victory Saturday afternoon at Fred Selfe Stadium.
How It Happened
– Emory & Henry scored two quick touchdowns to take a 13-0 lead at the 10:47 mark of the first quarter. Freshman running back Kendrick Kube (Culpeper, Va.) had a 36-yard touchdown run to start things off and freshman wide receiver Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) hauled in a 63-yard catch-and-run from junior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.) for the second score.
– SU got on the board on a 50-yard reception by Cedrick Delaney from Hayden Bauserman midway through the second quarter.
– Junior running back Ethan Atwood (Sparta, N.C.) pushed the Wasps’ advantage to 20-6 with 8:17 to go in the half thanks to a 46-yard run. A one-yard plunge by Delaney for the Hornets, however, made the score 20-13 at the break.
– Coming out of the intermission, Shenandoah’s Jalen Hudson took the opening kickoff 87 yards to the end zone, tying this ups at 20-all.
– Hudson snagged an 87-yard touchdown from Bauserman moments later to give the Hornets their first lead of the game and a one-yard run by Mario Wisdom made it 21-straight for SU and a 34-20 advantage with 15 minutes to play.
– On the first play of the fourth quarter, sophomore running back Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.) drove in from a yard out to close the gap to 34-26 but the extra-point attempt was blocked and returned for a defensive two-point conversion by Josh White and a 36-26 margin.
– Emory & Henry got within three, 36-33, with 1:01 left to go in the contest on a two-yard score by Atwood. The Wasps were unable to recover the onside kick following the touchdown and the Hornets ran the clock out for the victory.
Courtesy: Emory & Henry Athletics