Charlotte officer-involved shooting: Family releases video recorded by wife

Officials in Charlotte will hold a news conference shortly on the latest developments surrounding this case.

Keith Scott Shooting

GRAPHIC VIDEO RELEASED

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – An attorney for the family of the man shot by Charlotte police says newly released video recorded by the victim’s wife does not prove whether the shooting was justified.

Instead, Justin Bamberg tells The New York Times, the video shows “another vantage point” of the incident, in which 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was fatally shot.

Bamberg says he hopes Charlotte police release their own videos of the shooting. They’ve so far refused to do so. Police Chief Kerr Putney says there’s at least one video from a body camera and one from a dashboard camera.

The police video could resolve wildly different accounts of the shooting. Police have said Scott refused repeated commands to drop a gun; residents say he was unarmed. It’s unclear from the video shot by Scott’s wife whether he had a weapon.

Family releases video recorded by wife of Keith Scott 

In a new video, the body of the man killed by Charlotte police can be seen on the ground, where officers appear to try to attend to him, but his actual shooting isn’t shown.

The video was recorded by the wife of 43-year-old Keith Scott.

Officers tell Scott to drop a gun, but it’s unclear from the footage whether he has a weapon. Police have said he was armed, but witnesses say he held only a book.

In the video, Rakeyia Scott tells officers her husband doesn’t have a gun, has a traumatic brain injury and won’t hurt them. She says, “Keith, don’t let them break the windows” as she urges him to exit his car. She further tells him, “don’t do it,” but it’s not clear exactly what she means.

After the shooting, she tells officers “I’m not coming near you. I’m going to record though.”

Scott’s body is face down, and it’s unclear whether the officers are trying to help him or check for a weapon.

She states the address and says: “These are the police officers that shot my husband.”

Mayor says video should be released at some point

Charlotte’s mayor says she does believe police video of the police shooting of a black man should be released publicly, but she says it’s a matter of when.

Mayor Jennifer Roberts said during a news conference Friday that “I do believe the video should be released. The question is on the timing.” Police Chief Kerr Putney echoed her remarks, saying the video’s release is “a matter of when, it’s a matter of sequence.”

Protesters and the family of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott have called on authorities to release the video, which could resolve wildly different accounts of Scott’s shooting.

Police have said Scott refused repeated commands to drop a gun; residents say he was unarmed. An attorney for his family, who viewed the video Thursday, says it’s not clear from the video if he’s holding anything, including a gun.

See also: 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s