JOHNSON CITY, TN – The ETSU football team began preparations for the upcoming 2016 season as the Bucs’ 95-man roster reported to campus on Thursday afternoon.
ETSU, who played the 2015 campaign as a FCS Independent and enters the 2016 season as member of the Southern Conference, begins fall camp Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. The Bucs’ fall camp schedule consists of 24 practices, which includes three scrimmages, leading up to its season opener on Sept. 3 at Kennesaw State.
The Bucs return all their starters on offense, defense and special teams, while returning 81 players from last season’s roster – including 47 of those who played in 2015. In addition, the ETSU coaching staff added 29 newcomers during the off-season to complete the 2016 roster.
After moving back on campus Thursday morning, the Bucs held introductory team meetings and held a dinner before gearing up for Friday’s first practice.
Click here for video from head coach Carl Torbush, sophomore linebacker Dylan Weigel (Pickerington, Ohio) and junior running back Falon Lee (Macclenny, Fla.) as they talk about Bucs’ expectations heading into fall camp.
KEY DATES TO REMEMBER
- Friday, Aug. 5 – Practice #1 @ 3:30 p.m. (shorts)
- Tuesday, Aug. 9 – Practice #5 @ 3:30 p.m. (full pads)
- Friday, Aug. 12 – Media Day @ 4 p.m. (ETSU/MSHA Athletics Center — Media Only)
- Saturday, Aug. 13 – Scrimmage #1 @ 10:30 a.m. (ETSU Practice Fields)
- Thursday, Aug. 18 – Scrimmage #2 @ 2 p.m. (ETSU Practice Fields) / Food City Race Night @ 6 p.m.
- Coach Torbush and members of the ETSU football team will be on hand at Food City Race Night from 6-8 p.m., signing autographs and promoting the upcoming season. The event will be held on State Street in Bristol.
- Thursday, Aug. 25 – Scrimmage #3 @ 7 p.m. (Kermit Tipton Stadium) / Fan Appreciation Night
- Following the scrimmage at Kermit Tipton Stadium, ETSU will hold Fan Appreciation Night, which allows the Buccaneer faithful an opportunity to meet the team and get autographs. The scrimmage will last approximately an hour and a half.
- Saturday, Sept. 3 – Season opener at Kennesaw State, 7 p.m. kickoff
- Saturday, Sept. 17 – SoCon opener vs. Western Carolina at Bristol Motor Speedway, 1:30 p.m. kickoff
Please note, practices and scrimmages are open to the general public and will be held at the ETSU Practice Fields, which are adjacent the Basler Center of Physical Activity (CPA). Practices are subject to change; please follow @ETSUFootball on Twitter for any schedule updates.
For more information on Buccaneer football, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the football icon.