OAKLAND (KRON) — New comments from controversial Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has drawn scorn from Oakland mayor’s after calling the East Bay city one of the most dangerous places on earth.
His remarks were published in a New York Times article posted Wednesday. Trump, who admitted to NYT writer Robert Draper that he had never been to Iraq, was asked what was “the most dangerous place in the world you’ve been to?”
“There are places in America that are among the most dangerous in the world. You go to places like Oakland. Or Ferguson. The crime numbers are worse. Seriously,” he said.
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf blasted Trump’s comments in a post on Twitter Wednesday afternoon.
“Let me be clear, regarding @nytimes story, the most dangerous place in America is Donald Trump’s mouth,” she tweeted.
In a text message with KRON4’s Steve Aveson, Libby’s office said, “It is also worth noting that as of Monday, 5/15, YTD violent crime is down 14% in Oakland and homicides are down 43%.”
Trump, the GOP front-runner, has previously pledged to deport the estimated 11 million people living in the U.S. illegally. He’s also vowed to bar Muslims from entering the country and threatened to cut off remittances that Mexican immigrants in the U.S. send back home. And he’s accused the federal government of failing to protect the border from people and drugs illegally entering the country.
In a speech last year, Trump characterized Mexican immigrants as rapists and drug dealers.
Last May, the national immigration debate focused on San Francisco when Trump took to social media to lobby for a wall on the southern U.S. border. His comments were made following the fatal shooting of a young career woman on San Francisco’s Pier 14.
“This senseless and totally preventable act of violence committed by an illegal immigrant is yet another example of why we must secure our border immediately. This is an absolutely disgraceful situation and I am the only one that can fix it. Nobody else has the guts to even talk about it. That won’t happen if I become President. The American people deserve a wall to protect our jobs, economy and our safety. I am the only candidate who would build it. I will Make America Great Again!”
Francisco Sanchez, 45, who was previously deported five times and had seven prior felony convictions, has plead not guilty in the deadly shooting of Kathryn Steinle.
Copyright 2016 KRON. All rights reserved.