BOONE, NC (WJHL) – Police in Boone are warning the public of fake $100 bills that have made their way to our region.
The fake bills have the following features, according to Boone police:
- In the bold print on the front appear the words FOR MOTION PICTURE USE ONLY, rather than UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
- The fake currency does have a blue strip, but it’s printed on the surface.
- There is no light image of Benjamin Franklin on the right.
- The colored inkwell, as well as the number “100” on the front and back do not change from orange to green when the bill changes position.
- The bills have a yellow pen mark wiped across the front. This confuses the victim who assumes the bills have already been tested for authenticity.
Authorities say if you come across the fake money, please call Boone police or local law enforcement.