NASHVILLE, TN (WKRN) – A man who was hospitalized after his oxygen tank exploded, sparking a fire in south Nashville early Wednesday morning, has died.
It happened at a condo on Tampa Drive around 2 a.m.
Authorities on the scene told News 2 they believe a cigarette ignited the oxygen tank, causing the explosion and fire.
The 73-year-old victim, whose identity was not immediately released, was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with critical injuries. He has since died.
The fire was contained to the living room area. Occupants of the home said there was only one working smoke alarm in the home.
While the oxygen tank was a contributing factor to the fire, an exact cause remains under investigation.
An autopsy will be conducted in the near future.
The investigation is ongoing.