1. “GET DOWN!”: WOMAN'S FRANTIC ESCAPE FROM THE NAVY YARD
A worker describes what it was like on the inside when former Navy reservist Aaron Alexis shot and killed 12.
2. HOW RESERVIST'S PROBLEMS ELUDED SECURITY
An AP review finds the system of background checks
and clearances is so unreliable it's virtually impossible to investigate
the nearly 5 million Americans who have them.
3. WHAT THE POPE ENVISIONS FOR THE CHURCH
Francis says the church is sometimes obsessed by
“small-minded rules” and says pastors should emphasize compassion over
4. REPUBLICANS CONTINUE BID TO PUT HEALTH OVERHAUL ON ICE
House GOP set for a showdown vote on a stopgap
funding bill that keeps the government running while undercutting
President Obama's health care law.
5. AL-QAIDA MILITANTS SEIZE SYRIAN TOWN
The infighting threatens to further split opposition forces outgunned by President Assad's troops and strengthen his hand.
6. SCIENTISTS STRUGGLE TO EXPLAIN APPARENT WARMING LULL
A report says the rate of warming in 1998-2012 was
about half the average rate since 1951 even though greenhouse gas
emissions keep rising.
7. DELAY'S CONVICTION IN DONATION CASE TOSSED
A Texas appeals court says there was insufficient evidence for a jury to have found the former House majority leader guilty.
8. POLICE CHIEF'S VIDEOS FLOP WITH MAYOR
Officials intend to fire a small-town police chief
after he posts online videos of himself shooting automatic weapons and
spewing profanity-laced tirades.
9. NOT A MARTIAN IN SIGHT
Scientists report no methane has been found in the
last eight months by the Mars Curiosity rover, diminishing hope of
finding present-day life on the red planet.
10. PRINCE OF A GUY WORKS AT DAIRY QUEEN
An employee sees a woman pick up $20 dropped by a
visually impaired man and refuses to serve her until she gives it back.
When she refuses, he gives the man $20 from his own pocket.
Copyright 2013 The
Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.